- Parent Category: Activities
- Published on Tuesday, 02 February 2010 14:40
Day 3 of the November 2008 PCDI Postdoc Retreat
The future of science
The way science is performed at both universities and companies, and what research receives funding is dependent on socio-economic developments on a macro-scale and thus changes gradually. As a scientist you have to evolve to be able to keep up with these changes and develop yourself so that you fit in. Today is all about meeting people and learning from them, about both science and career. And it is of course a great opportunity to make new contacts and show the best of yourself and your research.
Key note lecture
- Hans Clevers (director Hubrecht Laboratory (NIOB) and co-founder of different biotech companies)
Forum: The future of science
Prominent scientists, industry representatives and policy makers give their view on the future of science and how to deal with these developments as a scientist. How can you prepare yourself as a postdoc for your future in science?
Panel members: Hans Clevers (NIOB), Nettie Buitelaar (Leiden Biobusiness Park), Lisette Appelo (Philips), Marij Stukart (CTMM), Casper Vroemen (Genencor), Frans Martens (NWO)
Moderator: Eric Danen (LACDR Leiden)
Lunch at the infomarket
EGL, CTMM, TI Pharma, BMM, TTO VU/VUmc, TTO AMC/Bio Business School
In small groups postdocs talk with invited guests who once were postdocs and have moved on successfully. Topics of interest may be:
- Research in academia. What capacities should you have/develop to become a group leader? How do I get funded?
- A career in industry. What kind of research is done? What kind of jobs are there and what skills should you have?
- A future outside science? What do former scientists also do?
- Working for a new biotech company or starting your own company. What does is take?
René van Herpen (Organon)
|Robert Jan Veldman (HvU)
Casper Vroemen (Genencor)
Mirian Lansink (Numico/Danone)
Martine Deckers (Deventer Ziekenhuis)
Daphne Merkus (Erasmus MC)
Steef Blok (TTO VU/VUmc)
Andreja Zulim (EGL)
Peter van Luijk (Groningen University)
Andrea Werkman (Voedingscentrum)
Michel Hooiveld (GSK)
Diana Harris (Centocor)